Twitter Updates

Wednesday 5 November 2008

MAC OS X spotlight indexing external drives

So still busy with rebuilding my Macbook, software installs and workflow, so its a good time to try and sort all the niggly things to do with the OS. One thing that I do not really like is spotlights indexing of external drives and network filesystems, so how do I stop it?

According to http://www.pengekcs.com/2007/12/25/taming-spotlight-to-not-index-specific-external-drives-at-all-in-os-x/ I just have to create an empty file called 'metadata_never_index' in the root folder of the drive.

I mount my network drives under ~/mnt so to create this file I just need to do (in Terminal.app)
$touch ~/mnt/Starbug1_Public/metadata_never_index

and my network share should no longer get indexed.
How do I remove all the rubbish the index has already put there ?

No comments: